Societal Change and Future Foresight Methods (7 op)
Toteutuksen tunnus: TE00BS56-3005
21.11.2022 - 15.01.2023
06.03.2023 - 30.06.2023
10 - 30
- Master's Degree Programme in Urban Climate and Sustainability (MUrCS)
- Eeva Aarrevaara
- Juha Roslakka
- Luennot (Koko: 0. Avoin AMK: 0.)
TLTIYMUR23KMaster's Degree Programme in Urban Climate and Sustainability (MUrCS) 23K Lahti
On completion of this module the student should be able to:
- Critically evaluate the key principles dealing with the field of futures research
- Understand the need of analysis of societal changes and transition processes in po-litical, economical, social, technological fields as the base for the futures research approach
- Display a knowledge and understanding of advanced methodologies relating to fu-tures research
- Critically appraise the differences within the most common approaches in the field
- Discuss and apply key management methodologies on different case studies
- Analyse and discuss best practices for different research and development tasks
Toteutustapa ja opetusmenetelmät
Contact days and hours according to separate schedule and courseworks. Two whole contact days with larger master student group. Course material and courseworks available in GCULearn.
Ajoitus ja läsnäolo
Delivery according to a separate plan.
Oppimateriaali ja suositeltava kirjallisuus
Introduced during the module.
Toteutuksen valinnaiset suoritustavat
Participation in contact days obligatory, absence needs to be reported separately.
The participants are informed about the educational arrangements before the start of the module.
Opiskelijan ajankäyttö ja kuormitus
Lectures and seminars 45 hours, independent learning 140 hours.
This module is focused on the field of futures research and its adaptation opportunities in practical research and development situations or case studies. The background of the module is based on the description and understanding of the meaning of historical transi-tion periods and their impact on the society. Analysis methods like PESTEL and other simi-lar methods are introduced to be applied in the description of current situations. Identifica-tion of different trends and megatrends as well as so called weak signals are phenomena having significant impact on analysis. The presentation of the most common methodolo-gies used in futures research forms the essential part of the module. Contents of methods like scenario analysis, future wheel, future table and Delphi method are explained. Theoret-ical background is combined with experimenting different methods in case situations. Fu-ture research methods allow different user groups to participate depending on the method chosen. Some of them are based on expert perspectives while others can be used as par-ticipatory methods with larger groups. One key principle in futures research is the ability to illustrate and describe alternative futures in the scope of current understanding of the exist-ing situation.
Lisätietoja opiskelijalle: mm. edeltävä osaaminen_peppi
No previous studies required.
Courseworks and participation in contact days.
Courseworks are not submitted or they don´t meet the requirements of the course. Absence in the contact days.
Arviointikriteerit: taso 1: (arviointiasteikko 1-5)
Student is able to
- search knowledge and sources based on future research and justify its' usability
- design, carry out and evaluate professional and organizational development processes by adaptation of the methods of future research
- work in demanding professional tasks utilizing the methods of future research
Arviointikriteerit: taso 3 (arviointiasteikko 1-5)
Student is able to
- evaluate critically professional knowledge and sources based on future research
- carry out demanding professional and organisational development processes by adaptation of the methods of future research
- work and communicate in multidimensional regional and national development networks utilizing the methods of future research
Arviointikriteerit: taso 5 (arviointiasteikko 1-5)
Student is able to
- use critically and innovatively domestic and international sources of future research
- evaluate the results and impacts of development activities by utilizing future research
- work and communicate in demanding domestic and international development networks utilizing the methods of future research