GIS as a tool (5 cr)
21.11.2022 - 15.01.2023
01.01.2023 - 31.05.2023
Number of ECTS credits allocated
Mode of delivery
Faculty of Technology (LAB)
10 - 30
- Master's Degree Programme in Urban Sustainability
- Sakari Autio
- Verkkoluento 1 (Size: 0. Open UAS: 0.)
TLTIYURS23KVMaster’s Degree Programme in Urban Sustainability 23KV Lahti
- Verkkoluento 1
The student is able to
- seek information in GIS related topics and use the terms and concepts consistently
- explain principles behind production of GIS information and the role of satellite positioning in data collection
- seek connections using geographic information with a program connected to GIS use and production
- use and combine GIS-based information for different needs and situations
- evaluate on and discuss the development of his/her knowledge base and abilities to use GIS in working life
Implementation and methods of teaching
Intensive learning sessions with lectures and exercises, self-study in e-learning platform Moodle, independent assignments with GIS. The course assignemets are based on QGIS-program, which students can download from the internet.
Timing and attendance
Contact sessions, independent assignements, own project, exam.
Learning material and recommended literature
Material and excercises in the E-learning platform. GIS and QGIS related web pages, tutorials and YouTube videos given during the course.
Working life cooperation
Student can utilize gis solutions related to their own work or interest areas.
Exam will be organized in the Moodle in the end of the course.
Grading of the course is based on:
- course assignments
- independent project
No assignments returned, no own project and failed exam.
Assessment criteria: level 1 (assessment scale 1–5)
Student can use the terms introduced during the course consistently and understands the context where geographic data and geographic infomation system (GIS) is used to solve problems. Student can use the available material to develop skills in GIS. Course assignments returned partly or badly late. No own project, modest exam result.
Assessment criteria: level 5 (assessment scale 1–5)
Student can develop his or her own skills and knowledge in GIS independently and use these attributes in developing her or his organization’s activity. (This includes the ability to give consistent guidance to others in GIS.)
To be taken into account:
- Course works returned in time with appropriate contents
- good independent project implementation
- excelent exam result