Developing Professional Competences 1 (3 cr)
01.07.2022 - 04.09.2022
06.09.2022 - 13.12.2022
Number of ECTS credits allocated
Mode of delivery
Faculty of Technology (LAB)
- Bachelor’s Degree Programme in Sustainable Solutions Engineering
- Anne-Marie Tuomala
- Verkkoluento (Size: 40. Open UAS: 0.)
- Virtual lecture
The student is able to
- plan their own learning and cooperate in situations related to their own field of studies
- recognize their own competence and the needs to develop them further and to plan their career path observing them
- act as a group member
- operate in the learning environments of LAB University of Applied Sciences
- picture their own field of studies and its future skills
- give feedback on tuition and services and thus participate in the development of education
Implementation and methods of teaching
Timing and attendance
Developing professional competence course starts with the Orientation Week. Active participation is required already in this stage.
After the orientation week, course activities will be organized according to the course timetable, approximately 2 x 1 lecturing hour/month.
Learning material and recommended literature
All materials are produced by the tutor teacher and are available in the course platform.
Working life cooperation
The course aims at supporting the professional development and it also includes coaching for the practical training and working life orientation in general.
Digital course platform and virtual sessions.
Student time use and work load
Developing professional competence is a 5 ECTS course for the whole study program period.
Course is divided between 1st, 2nd, 3rd study years.
Developing Professional Competence 1, 3 ECTS - 1st study year
Developing Professional Competence 2, 1 ECTS - 2nd study year
Developing Professional Competence 3, 1 ECTS - 3rd study year
1 ECTS is 27 hours of student work.
This course will introduce the student:
• how to plan their own learning and cooperate in situations related to their own field of studies
• how to identify themselves as a learner and develop their own learning skills
• ability to recognize their own competence and the needs to develop them further and to plan their career path observing them
• how to act as a group member
• how to operate in the learning environments of LAB University of Applied Sciences
• knowledge of their own field of studies and its future skills
• how to give feedback on tuition and services and thus participate in the development of education
• working life knowledge
The course is assessed passed/failed.
Undone assignments, no active participation.