Basic Studies in Chemistry (3 cr)
01.07.2022 - 04.09.2022
05.09.2022 - 16.12.2022
Number of ECTS credits allocated
Mode of delivery
Faculty of Technology (LAB)
- Bachelor’s Degree Programme in Sustainable Solutions Engineering
- Tiina Valkonen
- Luennot 1 (Size: 0. Open UAS: 0.)
- Luennot 1
The student is able to
- to understand the meaning of the chemistry as an essential part of environmental engineering
- to describe and identify common inorganic compounds as well as the groups and structures of organic compounds.
- to present the basic chemical aquations and reactions
- to know the atomic structure and chemical bonds, electrochemical reactions, acid and base equilibrium
- to compute basic chemical calculations
Implementation and methods of teaching
This course has online lectures on Thursdays at 12am - 2pm.
Learning material and recommended literature
Material will be in moodle.
Book: Introductory chemistry, Tro, Nivaldo J., 2018 (Students can use online licenses).
The course consists of contact teaching and individual work. We use the Moodle environment.
- Atomic structure and periodicity
- Chemical bonding and structure
- Amount of substance (n) and its use in calculations
- Chemical reaction equations and their use in calculations
- Oxidation and reduction
- Acids and bases
- Naming organic compounds and functional groups
The student can not solve chemical problems.
Assessment criteria: level 1 (assessment scale 1–5)
The student is able to solve simple mechanical problems.
Assessment criteria: level 3 (assessment scale 1–5)
The student understands and is able to apply basic chemistry.
Assessment criteria: level 5 (assessment scale 1–5)
The student masters the methods of basic chemistry.