- Sawmill Industry eBook and Sawmill Handbook book (Ritva Varis 2017). It is strongly advised that you get the hard copy of the book. - Lecturers, presentations, extra readings and videos. - other course material
The student is able to: - Basics of the sawmill industry, Finnish forests and forestry - Basics of wood raw material and wood raw material procurement - Forest Certification Criteria (PEFC & FSC) - Sawn timber manufacturing: the production planning process - Further developed products, substitutes and competitors - sales and marketing of wood products - Logistics and Incoterms clauses - R&D - development of wood products over the years - Use of wood in construction.
- passed examinations - average of examinations more than 50% - approved weekly exercises
10.01.2022 - 25.02.2022
19.11.2021 - 09.01.2022
Enrolment in Peppi http://peppi.lab.fi. If you need assistance, please contact the student office.
0 - 100
Faculty of Technology (LAB)
Ilkka Tarvainen, Esa Mikkonen
- Forest and wood raw material
- Wood structure and properties
Bachelor’s Degree Programme in Wood Technology
To be agreed with the course teacher
- Moodle implementation
- The course is evenly loaded for an average of 8 weeks - Extent of the course 5 cr. equivalent to about 5 x 27 hours of student work
The course covers the following topics: - Finnish forests & forestry - wood as raw material & supply of logs - forest certification (PEFC & FSC) - sawn timber production: production planning process - manufacture of lumber: Production process - branches and their characteristics; Strength graded wood - downstream products, substitutes and competitors - sales and marketing of wood products - Logistics and Incoterms - R&D - development of wood products over the years. Wood in construction.