Ethics, Environment and Business (5 cr)
21.11.2022 - 15.01.2023
16.01.2023 - 14.04.2023
Number of ECTS credits allocated
Mode of delivery
80 % Contact teaching, 20 % Distance learning
Faculty of Business and Hospitality Management (LAB)
0 - 40
- Complementary competence and optional courses, Bachelors
- Anna Pajari
- Luennot 1 (Size: 0. Open UAS: 0.)
- Lectures 1
The student is able to:
- critically analyze and evaluate corporate responsibility and sustainable development in companies and organizations
- implement ethical, social and environmental aspects into the company strategic decision-making and into practice
- resolve complex social and environmental business matters
- professionally communicate CSR issues to stakeholders and the public
Implementation and methods of teaching
The study unit contains 7-8 x 2 hours teaching sessions that include lectures, teaching discussions, videos/podcasts, project work as well as student presentations.
Timing and attendance
The lectures take place on a weekly basis between Jan.16 - April 14. Active participation in lectures and discussions, team meetings and project work is needed.
Learning material and recommended literature
All materials will be given by the teacher in electric form via the learning platform moodle, and collected, analyzed, or produced, by students themselves.
Alternative completion methods
The students of KTH, RTU and TU can complete course completely online.
Working life cooperation
The course contains guest lecture(s) and company assignments/cases.
The course will be a combination of class room activities, group work and independent learning.
- is able to critically analyze and evaluate information in relation to corporate responsibility and sustainable development
- is able to implement ethical, social and environmental aspects into the company strategic decision-making and into practice
- understands the multitude of impact focused businesses and social enterprises in theory and in practice
- can assess the consequences of ideas that bring value and the effect of entrepreneurial action on the target community, the market, society, and the environment
Evaluation consists of self evaluation, peer evaluation and evaluation of the teacher. Company cases will also be evaluated by the comissioner(s).
Assessment criteria: level 1 (assessment scale 1–5)
- shows ability to describe ethical and environmental performance of companies and organisations
- understands the basic idea of social enterprises
- participates in discussions on given topics
- is able to deliver the given assignments on time
Assessment criteria: level 3 (assessment scale 1–5)
- shows ability to evaluate ethical and environmental performance of companies and organisations
- understands the multitude of social entrepreneurship
- discusses the given topics and gives independent and critical arguments
- gives concrete recommendations for companies to improve their environmental or social performance
Assessment criteria: level 5 (assessment scale 1–5)
- shows ability to critically analyze ethical and environmental performance of companies and organisations
- understands the aims, possibilities and challenges of social enterprises
- discusses the given topics on a professional level
- can validate his arguments coherently
- gives concrete, realistic and innovative recommendations for companies to improve their environmental or social performance